Wow! That was an incredible meeting last night. 125 people in the room and 11 solid affinity groups at the #ShutDownDC kick off meeting! We’re so inspired to see so many amazing people stepping up to the challenge.
The Climate Strike week of action is less than a month away and we have a long way to go and a short time to get there. Here are a few important next steps for everyone!
As we discussed last night we’re going to shut down DC by organizing in affinity groups–each taking responsibility for different intersections and parts of the city.
- If you formed an affinity group at the spokes council please make sure that someone from your affinity group fills out this form so we can keep track of who is in motion.
- If you are still looking for an affinity group, fill out this form to get in touch with affinity groups that are looking for new friends!
Our next spokes council will be at the same time and location next week: Wednesday, September 4 at 7pm at 2111 Florida Ave NW (Friends Meeting House of Washington, DC)
If you invite people who missed this week’s meeting, please tell them to arrive at 6pm for an orientation so they can be ready to hit the ground running when the spokes council starts at 7.
More than 400 people have already signed the pledge of resistance committing to take action and ShutDownDC on September 23rd! But if we’re going to pull off something this ambitious we need to keep building! Tell everyone you can possibly think of to sign the pledge of resistance at https://strikedc.org and share the Facebook event far and wide!https://www.facebook.com/events/514187982669388/
And shutting things down takes resources! If you can, please consider donating to help us make this happen!
There are a handful of important events this week. Please check them out and share them with your networks:
- 350DC will be leading a Recruitment Talk at the Shaw Library Today at 630pm. The talk will cover the severity of the climate crisis and why nonviolent civil disobedience is our best strategy. Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/510277736387391/
- XRDC will be leading a Recruitment Talk at the Woodridge Library on Saturday at 1130am. Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/507751000000808/
- This Friday at 530pm at the EPA building, Nadine and XRDC will be providing a Roadblock and Affinity Group Training. Please come out to get some experience taking the street with your affinity group! We need 30 RSVPS for the event to go forward. RSVP here: https://xrebellion.org/8-30
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone at these events coming up. Let’s keep building our momentum to build something incredible on September 23rd!
Love and Solidarity,
The Strike DC Organizing Team