At the spokes council meeting on September 4, #ShutDownDC affinity groups adopted the demands put together by the Strike With US youth-led coalition. Different affinity groups throughout the action each have their own demands, messages and issues, but all partners in the #ShutDownDC action are committed to lifting up these demands on September 23rd.
A Green New Deal
- Transform our economy to 100% clean, renewable energy by 2030 and phase out all fossil fuel extraction through a just and equitable transition, creating millions of good jobs.
- A halt to all leasing and permitting for fossil fuel extraction, processing and infrastructure projects immediately
Respect of Indigenous Land and Sovereignty
- Honor the treaties protecting Indigenous lands, waters, and sovereignty by the immediate halt of all construction, leasing, and permitting for resource extraction, processing and infrastructure projects affecting or on Indigenous lands
- Recognize the Rights of Nature into law to protect our sacred ecosystems and align human law with natural law to ban resource extraction in defense of our environment and people
- A transition that invests in prosperity for communities on the frontlines of poverty and pollution
- Welcoming those displaced by the cumulative effects of the climate crisis, economic inequality, violence, and lack of opportunity
Protection and Restoration of Biodiversity
- Protection and restoration of 50% of the world’s lands and oceans including a halt to all deforestation by 2030
Implementation of Sustainable Agriculture
- Investment in farmers and regenerative agriculture and an end to subsidies for industrial agriculture